Monday 21 July 2008

When it rains it Singapores

Singapore was sterile, censored, westernised, clean, apparently a bit like LA and full of indiscrimanatory fines. We didn't do much here apart from pay $19 for two beers and play pool with some nice boys from England.

I inexplicably cheated. Still don't know why.

The last five days have been the easiest five days, not just of this trip so far, but probably of my entire life. Let me try and explain.

Helen spent the last nine months or so working with a lovely lady called Phylia who is from Malaysia. When she heard that we would be travelling through, she offered us the chance to stay at her brother and mum's house in the suburbs of Kuala Lumpur. 

We obviously jumped at the chance. What we didn't realise was that Phylia and her family would then insist on paying for everything.


Not ones to shirk an opportunity, Helen ate everything in sight and I got drunk with the loveliest grandma in the world - apart from my own ones of course. Although saying that - my grandma doesn't ply me with beer from eleven in the morning. 

Time to step your game up G'ma.

We will be eternally grateful for the last four days as it truly allowed us to relax and recharge. We saw a good deal of Kuala Lumpur and it was also good to stay in the suburbs, as staying in hotels, hostels and homestays means you don't really get a feel for the indigenous lifestyle. 

KC and Aunty's house was also full of cats and dogs so Helen was in her element.

We're now in the (paid for - the guilt has stopped killing me now and I'm afraid I might be getting used to it) hotel in the Cameron Highlands which is a magnificently scenic place. 

Daggers and I went for a walk this morning and she got leeches all over her which I had to burn off. Other than that we've been making sure we have enough fat on our bodies for the winter - August in Thailand.

Off to go and eat my dinners now.


2 comments:

Jimbotfu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jimbotfu said...

Sounds like your paradise. What wonderfully generous people.

If you need to stay with me and Chloe when you get back, please know that we won't be anywhere near as generous.

I wouldn't even burn a leech off you.

xxxxx